"From heaven to hell and back again, life is a funny thing. beauty can come from the most strangest of places even the most disgusting places." RIP Lee Alexander McQueen. This blog is dedicated to you, your art, your beauty, and your influence. Long live McQueen!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Thierry Mugler Fall 2011

Let's talk about the Mugler show. I had such high hopes for this collection as it is Nicola's first womans wear collection for the label. He definitely has his individual style, and it is definitely apparent in the clothing choices. I'm sorry, I'm just going to say it. I wasn't feeling this collection. Not one bit! Yes, I feel horrible for saying so because I adore Formichetti and his avant garde behavior, but this was not what I was waiting for. 

I also don't want to be mixed into the group of people who hate this collection because it is not wearable and 'no one will buy it.' Gaga bought the whole collection, and I read some responses to that yesterday beaming "that's because no one else will buy it." This is true, I don't think many people will buy this collection but that's not why I don't like it. I don't like it because we've already seen it. We've seen Gaga in these clothes many times, or something like them. I wanted him to incorporate his personal style into something that's marketable. Otherwise how will he make money?

I, of all people, very much appreciate his venture and wanting to do something different. I think he should stick with the brand, but he has a lot of work to do. I like the alien elements and the sheer, but perhaps he should bring those back in a different context? This was just..too much and too little all at once. 

The hair is a whole different story. Alexander McQueen? No? Yes? Maybe? 




Images Courtesy of Nymag.com