"From heaven to hell and back again, life is a funny thing. beauty can come from the most strangest of places even the most disgusting places." RIP Lee Alexander McQueen. This blog is dedicated to you, your art, your beauty, and your influence. Long live McQueen!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 2011

Jean Paul Gaultier



He is officially a pioneer for curvy women. He made Crystal Renn, and now he has Beth Ditto walking. She's not the best looking in the bunch, but she has a great voice and is proud to be curvy (fat), but she is toooo curvy (fat). I understand putting someone of that size on a runway speaks volumes and makes a gesture toward the slowly evolving norm for runway models, but what does it say about obesity? That it is okay and totally acceptable to be that fat? I don't know, I'm not a fan of that, but I appreciate Gaultier thinking outside of the box and doing something different. As an established designer, he will not get that much shit for it, and people might even start catching the trend. At least everyone will remember it as opposed to Mark Fast (Do you remember his shows? Yeah, me either) At least she is not the only plus size on his runway. I just wonder what's next...

As for the clothes...totally Gaultier! Love the mix of colors and the multi colored shoes that are reminiscent of his Fall 2010 Couture collection, except they are now paired with a suitable double heel. It's space disco meets 1970's rocker chic. Not my favorite collection of his, but it's great. I would wear some of the stuff (I know, hard to imagine) just because it's Gaultier and I love all of his work. Love the bag that is unconventionally shaped. Gorg! Fabu!

The bandannas/scarf tied around the wrist...I totally made Alex wear it for FNO, not knowing it would be a trend for next season. Oops, sorry!